Munson Medical Center Patient Transporter-Central Transport in Traverse City, Michigan
The Patient Transporter is responsible for the safe and efficient movement of patients to and from clinical units, various diagnostic areas in accordance with established policies and procedures.
REQUIREMENTS: High school diploma or equivalentBasic Life Support (BLS) required or obtain within six months of hire. Failure to obtain may result in termination of employment Prior experience in patient handling and working with the public desirable Must be able to interact positively with patients and hospital personnel Must be able to accurately record information provided by dispatcher and write legibly Must be able to hear, comprehend and follow directions Must be able to walk extensively and capable of lifting and moving patients
ORGANIZATION: Works under the supervision of the Patient Transport Manager.
Works in well lighted and clean surroundings
Stands and walks most of the time, throughout the hospital
SPECIFIC DUTIES :
· Supports the mission statement of Munson Medical Center (MMC): Munson Medical Center is the core of a regional health system. In partnership with physicians, we provide quality, compassionate, comprehensive and cost-effective services for improvement of the health of our patients and the communities we serve.
· Embraces and supports the Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) philosophy of Munson Medical Center: We are committed to the name "Munson" meaning excellence. We will provide services that meet our customers' requirements every time
· Has basic understanding of Relationship-Based Care (RBC) principles, meets expectations outlined in Commitment to My Co-workers, and supports RBC unit action plans
· Transport patients in a safe and timely manner, following established policies and procedures
Ticket To Ride
Knowledgeable of Safety and Infection Control Policies
· Completes transport log sheet
Receives and records accurate information from TeleTracking system/dispatcher for each transport.
Secures additional information, as required for each transport.
Handles oxygen portables/cylinders safely.
Assures there is ample oxygen for the transport trip.
Assures tank is working properly.
Handles oxygen E-cylinder safely during transport.
· Removes from service any defective or soiled equipment
Moves defective equipment to a holding area and marks equipment as defective.
Reports status of equipment to Lead.
· Assists in the transfer of patient from bed/ wheelchair to patient transport equipment or back utilizing correct body mechanics and universal precautions
Responsible to assure availability of transport equipment.
Follow instruction of medical professional leading the transfer.
Transports deceased patients to the morgue.
Assists funeral directors with discharges from the morgue.
· Transports patient equipment to requested areas - Commode, IV pole, etc
· Utilizes effective communication skills and interpersonal interactions with patients and families, visitors, physicians, fellow employees, and team members
Interacts with patients and families, visitors, physicians, and hospital personnel in a positive, respectful, and productive manner at all times.
Demonstrates appropriate and acceptable non-verbal behaviors.
· Actively supports hospital values and exhibits excellent customer/guest relations
Anticipates customer/guest needs in all interactions.
Serves as a role model in meeting customer requirements and proving service at all times.
· Utilizes patient transport system – Tele Tracking
Utilizes I-Pods to communicate with Tele Tracking system.
Accepts patient transport job via Tele Tracking system.
Completes patient transport job via Tele Tracking system.
· Acknowledges that safety is a self-responsibility. Knows the physical requirements of the job and work within those guidelines. Performs job duties safely at all times, utilizing learned body mechanics and transferring/lifting techniques. Plans actions to promote safety. Reports any unsafe situation/equipment according to Hospital procedure
· Lifts and/or assists patients to and from their bed/wheelchair or examination table
· May be asked to help undress and dress patients as is required for examination
· At request of the staff, assist in positioning patients
· Makes up, cleans transport equipment and makes periodic inspection of wheelchairs, stretchers, etc.
· Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned