Prestige Healthcare Registered Dietitian in Southfield, Michigan
Responsible for the assessment and planning of the nutritional care of the residents in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local standards, guidelines and regulations, policies and procedures, and in coordination with the Nutrition Services Supervisor/Manager to ensure that qualify food service and nutritional care is provided to the residents.
- Bachelor’s degree in Dietetics, Nutrition, or related field p. Licenses/Certification:
- Registered Dietitian with the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the American Dietetic Association
- License or certification as mandated by the state in which employed
- ServSafe Food Safety Certification preferred p. Experience:
- Experience in long-term care environment and geriatric nutrition preferred
- Maintains clinical nutrition documentation for residents in accordance with Nursing Center policy and procedure, as well as state and federal regulations.
- Ensures that all assessments and progress notes documented in the medical records are accurate, informative, and descriptive of the services provided and of the resident’s response to the plan of care.
- Ensures all documentation is completed within the required timeframes and in accordance with Nursing Center policy and procedure, as well as state and federal regulations.
- Participates with the interdisciplinary team in developing, implementing, and evaluating plans of care; attends meetings/conferences to discuss the clinical care of the resident; and communicates resident concerns and response to interventions to interdisciplinary team members and direct care staff.
- Interviews residents, family members, legal representatives, significant others, and staff to obtain and update information needed to develop individualized plan of care, protect and promote residents’ rights, and accommodate individual needs and preferences.
- Involves the resident/family in planning objectives and goals for the resident.
- Ensures a dietary kardex or similar record of diet orders and food preferences is utilized in the Nutrition Services Department.
- Coordinates with the Nutrition Services Supervisor/Manager the review and customization of the regular and therapeutic menus to meet the food preferences of the residents in accordance with established policies, procedures, Diet Manual guidelines, standard of practice, and regulations.
- Coordinates with the Nutrition Services Supervisor/Manager to ensure that all diets ordered by the physician are planned on the therapeutic menu.
- Routinely obtains feedback and suggestions from residents via resident council, meal rounds, and/or interviews with residents, family, and staff to improve the menu.
- Provides feedback and suggestions to improve the menu to the Menu Development Coordinator at the corporate office.
- Monitors food temperatures and quality at point of service in the various dining locations via test trays per company procedures and standards.
- Monitors the distribution of nourishments, supplements, and meals to residents and takes corrective action when necessary.
- Assists the Nutrition Services Supervisor / Manager with processing diet orders and changes and ensuring that an accurate tray card is available for each resident receiving meals.
- Ensures that new residents are visited upon admission to obtain a Diet History and food preferences.
- Conducts meal rounds and interviews staff and residents to ensure that residents are receiving foods in the amount, type, consistency, and frequency required to maintain or improve nutritional status.
- Routinely inspects the food service area(s) and practices for compliance with company policies, procedures, standards, and applicable federal, state, and local regulations. Completes evaluations and develops action plans with the Nutrition Services Supervisor/Manager and the Administrator for items that need improvement.
- Participates in the Nursing Center’s “Performance Improvement Program.” Serves on various committees as required by company standards, regulations, and/or appointment by the Administrator.
- Participates in the long-term care survey process. Instructs staff in matters of conduct and disclosure. Maintains a presence at the Nursing Center as directed by the Administrator while surveyors are on-site and directs the timely collection of information required by the survey team. Undertakes corrective action while survey is in progress, if appropriate. Works with the Nutrition Services Supervisor/Manager and other Nursing Center departments to develop survey plan of correction, as needed.
- Maintains good communications and working relationships with all departments in the Nursing Center.
- Routinely communicates issues, concerns, and opportunities for improvement to the Administrator. Conducts an entrance and exit conference with the Administrator or designee at each visit if employee is assigned to multiple Nursing Centers.
- Reports all hazardous conditions/equipment to the Administrator immediately.
- Assists the Nutrition Services Supervisor/Manager with purchasing decisions for food, supplies, equipment, etc. within approved budgets.
- Assists the Nutrition Services Supervisor/Manager with training Nutrition Services employees.
- Provides in-service training to Nursing Center staff on topics related to Nutrition and Foodservice.
- Fulfills job responsibilities in accordance with the standards set out in the Company’s Code of Business Conduct, its policies and procedures, the Corporate Compliance Agreement, applicable federal and state laws, and applicable professional standards and codes of ethics.
- Provides feedback and suggestions to improve company policies, procedures, tools, and reference materials to the corporate office.
- Uses independent judgment and discretion on behalf of the organization in the performance of these duties.
- Works cooperatively as a team member with co-workers in all departments of the Nursing Center.
- Performs job duties safely as specified in the physical, sensory, and mental requirements.
- Assists the Nutrition Services Supervisor / Manager in foodservice operations as needed to ensure that residents receive adequate nutrition.
- Stays abreast of federal regulations for long-term care, dietetic registration/licensure, and food safety, as well as state-specific regulations for the state he/she works and incorporates into his/her work as needed.
- Monitors industry trends, new products, current research, and new programs in medical nutrition therapy and foodservice and incorporates into his/her work as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.