Trinity Health Mental Health Technician in Pontiac, Michigan
I Accountability Objectives:
Functions as a member of a multidisciplinary team under the direction of an Registered Nurse to facilitate the patient's discharge to the next level of care. This is accomplished through the assurance of patient safety, the use of therapeutic communications and activities, and the teaching of appropriate coping and behavioral skills. In addition may be delegated components of the assessment and discharge process, unit specific treatments and diagnostic modalities, activities of daily living and dietary assistance.
II Position Qualifications:
Minimum Education, Licensure / Certification and Experience Required.
Minimum of Associates Degree in Mental Health - Social Work OR Bachelor's Degree in Psychology OR Associates Degree in Nursing with documented clinical rotation in mental health.
If incumbent does not hold the above education, 4 years work experience may be substituted in lieu of education.
B. Licensure / Certification
- If LPN, must be licensed in the state of Michigan.
- Current Heart Saver (HS) certification.
C Special Skill / Aptitudes
- Successful completion of comprehensive orientation, skills credentialing, and subsequent unit based training.
- Must be able to demonstrate therapeutic interpersonal skills to interact in an effective manner with patients and families and to collaborate with unit interdisciplinary teams.
- Excellent customer service orientation skills necessary in order to deal effectively with various levels of hospital personnel, outside customers and community groups.
- If incumbent holds formal Education, minimum of one year experience in a psychiatric care setting preferred.
- If does not hold formal Education, must have a minimum of 4 years of experience.
III Duties / Responsibilities:
- Assures and maintains patient safety at all times.
- Completes designated portions of the assessment process. Responsible for daily documentation on assigned patients.
- Orients patients and families to the unit and milieu program. Provides patient education according to approved unit specific didactic classes such as coping skills, chemical dependency, and depression management, etc.
- Role models appropriate behaviors and communication skills with patients, families, and colleagues.
- Assists patients in activities of daily living appropriate to patient's condition. This would include physical care such as bathing and ambulating patients.
- Contributes to the interdisciplinary patient care conferences.
- Provides basic nutritional support to patients such as tray passing, assistance with meals, and collection and documentation of intake as appropriate.
- Directs or assists in patient activities (structured and unstructured) and assists in group therapy.
- Provides basic medical treatments including monitoring of vital signs, recognition of life threatening conditions with initial response and reporting, emptying and measuring drainage equipment and documentation in the patient care record. Required to perform ECGs, basic respiratory care, and basic range of motion.
- Prepares patient/family for discharge throughout the patients stay and contributes to the discharge instructions.
- Assesses patient response to therapeutic interventions and the dynamics of the unit milieu. Plans interventions and adjusts activities according to unit/patient needs.
- Participates in unit Shared Governance, unit/department educational offerings, and ongoing Continuous Quality Improvement activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned and needed. These duties may vary depending upon the unit, patient type and need, number and complexity of treatments provided, etc. Additional duties may also include non-clinical duties consistent with meeting the needs of the patient and care team.
- Demonstrates and actively promotes an understanding and commitment to the mission of St. Joseph Mercy Oakland through performing behaviors consistent with the Trinity Health Values.
- Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and Local laws and regulations, the Trinity Health Organizational Integrity Program, including the Standards of Conduct, Code of Ethics, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behaviors.
- Supports and conducts one's self in a manner consistent with customer service expectations.
- In accordance with unit or departmental practice, determines that appropriate charges have been entered for the correct patient, encounter, date/time of service, with any required modifiers. Make corrections as needed per charge capture policy/practice.
- In accordance with unit or departmental practice, actively participates in on-going education and communication regarding revenue management.
- In accordance with unit or departmental practice, assists with tracking and monitoring of equipment assigned to the unit. Requests services for maintaining equipment as needed.
- In accordance with unit or departmental practice, proficient with the electronic health records for documentation, assessment, and care management, performing these activities concurrently with provision of care throughout the shift.
Job Number: 00139712
Location: Pontiac, MI
Organization Name: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System
Facility: SJSEMI - On Camp Hosp-Tax
Employment Type: Full time
Shift: Night Shift