Memorial Health Care Center Patient Care Tech I in Owosso, Michigan
JOB SUMMARY Under direct supervision and/or direction of the department manager/director, charge nurse, or staff nurse/team leader. Performs duties assisting staff nurses in the treatment and care of patient in accordance with the established methods and procedures of the hospital. Strives for superior performance by consistently providing a product or service to leadership and staff that is recognized as ultimately contributing to the patient and family experience. Recognizes and demonstrates understanding of patient and family centered care.
Responsible To: Department Manager/Director/Charge Nurse/RN
Workers Supervised: None
Inter-Relationships: Other clinical departments, department staff, physicians, internal and external customers
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists the nurse with patient admissions, discharges, transfers, pre and post-op care, treatments, etc.
- Provide personal care (hygiene, ambulation, ADL's, etc.) as assigned.
- Performs routine treatments and specimen collections, according to operating instructions. Document and report as appropriate any changes observed in condition or behavior or a patient (vital signs, I & O, daily weights, glucometers, removing IV' and Foley catheters, etc.).
- Document patient interventions in electronic medical records (EMR) computer terminal.
- Assist patients at meal time and with nourishments as directed.
- Make rounds frequently on assigned patients, respond to call lights/requests, and anticipate patient needs.
- Assist in maintain a safe environment by cleaning equipment, rooms, instruments, and report equipment that is out of order, prepare equipment for disinfection, and maintaining stock supplies on the unit as directed.
- Assist physicians as requested (maintaining patient's position, etc.).
- Performs resident approved activities.
- Attends in-service education programs as assigned.
- Maintains current acceptable BLS certifications, competency assessment, and mandatory safety education in accordance with satisfactory performance standards.
- Demonstrate job related aspects of patient safety to assure a safe environment, safe and effective use of equipment and technology, and decreased risk of potential adverse patient occurrences.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and supports hospital mission, vision, value statements, standards of care, policies and procedures, operating instructions confidentiality statement, corporate compliance plan, standards of behavior, customer service standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
- Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of patients served on his/her assigned unit.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of principle growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to asses data reflective of the patient's/resident's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient/resident requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs, and to provide the care needed as described in the unit's and division's policies and procedures.
- Performs other specific duties as assigned.
EDUCATION 1. High school diploma/GED required. 2. Computer based competencies required for acute care. 3. Current certification in Basic Life Support (BLS) required. 4. Requires ability to perform simple math functions. 5. Requires a level of education necessary to read and understand transcribed physician's orders, vital signs, and other information on patient's/resident's chart.
EXPERIENCE 1. CNA and one (1) year of experience preferred.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL ABILITIES/MOTOR SKILLS
- Able to travel independently throughout all Memorial Healthcare facilities.
- Small motor skills required for operating modern computer, office, and telephone equipment as utilized by Memorial Healthcare (MHC).
- Ability to access patient/resident in bed/stretcher and his/her equipment for the purpose of obtaining assessment, hygiene, and performing ADL's.
Ability to safely move patient's/resident's as ordered independently or with assistive devices. ESSENTIAL TECHNICAL ABILITIES
Proficiency using modern office, computer and telephone equipment as used by Memorial Healthcare.
Ability to have hand-eye coordination and fine-motor skills for administration of treatments (vital signs, weights, hot packs, enemas, ace wraps, TED stockings, etc.).
ESSENTIAL MENTAL ABILITIES
- Ability to adapt and maintain focus in fast paced, quickly changing or stressful situations.
- Ability to read and interpret a variety of documents including, but not limited to policies, operating instructions, white papers, regulations, rules and laws.
- Ability to follow directions.
- Ability to document findings and interventions as appropriate.
- Ability to identify changes in patient's/resident's conditions and/or patient's/resident's response to interventions.
ESSENTIAL SENSORY REQUIREMENTS
- Able to see for the purpose of reading information received in formats including but not limited to paper, computer, reports, bulletins, updates, manuals.
- Able to see and hear for work-related purposes.
- Ability to communicate effectively with patient/resident and family.
- Ability to assess patient's condition and auscultate blood pressures.
- Ability to see, smell, touch, and hear patient status.
- Communicate receptively and expressively in English, both written and verbal, with diverse populations, including physicians, patients, families, community agencies, employees, and volunteers.
- Maintain self-control.
- Ability to interact with co-workers, hospital staff, administration, patients, physicians, the public and all internal and external customers in a professional and effective, courteous and tactful manner, at all times, physically, verbally and in all written and electronic communication.
- Required to remain calm when adversity is encountered.
- Open, honest, and tactful communication skills.
- Ability to work as a team member in all activities.
- Positive, cooperative and motivated attitude.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Maintain professional and courteous manner.