Trinity Health Patient Financial Counselor - Team Lead - Outpatient Oncology in Ann Arbor, Michigan
We have an opportunity for a Team Lead, Patient Financial Counselor supporting our Oncology department. This is a full-time benefited position. We seek individuals who can be strong advocates for our outpatient oncology patients.
Candidates with Medical Billing, Insurance Verification, Medical Terminology, Experience with Approvals, Denials and strong EMR skills are encouraged to apply. CHONC Certification is preferred but not required.
Saint Joseph Mercy Health System is one of Michigan's most advanced cancer providers. We use cutting edge treatment technology, provide the latest clinical research trials, offer classes, events and support groups as well as other cancer support services, and our multidisciplinary team approach provides the highest quality patient outcomes which shows in our accreditations and recognitions.
Learn more at http://www.stjoesannarbor.org/cancer
Under general direction provides coordination of the Oncology Patient Financial Counselor team's activities. Monitors Team’s inventory of work and proficiency and effectiveness of activity completion; recommends and implements improvements. Identifies issues and situations which will enhance Team’s abilities. Prepares documentation and training experiences. Empowered by Director to coordinate the Team’s functional activities.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides liaison with external agencies, other Team Leaders.
- Identifies and focuses on new opportunities which will improve work flow within Team
- Demonstrates hands-on knowledge of procedures and processes unique to assigned Team; demonstrates ability to readily acquire new knowledge.
- Demonstrates ability to motivate Team members to problem-solve using system tools and techniques.
- Actively participates in interviewing and hiring new Team members; provides input for selection and decision.
- Assists Director with evaluation of Team member performance; provides input for evaluation.
- Evaluates work flows and processes; identifies and makes recommendations for improvements; measures changes and assesses impacts.
- Actively participates in Team business decisions; recommends and assists Team with solutions and approaches.
- Identifies training and educational opportunities and needs; obtains training and collaborates in training Team members; coordinates required training activities.
- Maintains competency by attending and participating in on-site and external seminars and training sessions.
- Encourages and fosters Team empowerment in work activities; demonstrates ability to regularly perform the functions of any Team member; solicits input and feedback from Team members. Able to assume role of Team members as needed.
Completes and maintains associates timecards and attendance records.
Coordinates staff to assure appropriate levels of talents and skills required for team’s work responsibilities.
- Serves as problem-solver and resource person for Team’s work processes and issues; accountable to resolve problems referred by Team members.
- Monitors accuracy of work performed by Team; uses periodic auditing and agreed upon measurements for compliance with established benchmarks.
- Challenges Team members to assure continued competencies required by changing work flows, system enhancements and internal and external environment.
- Gathers data to measure Team effectiveness and productivity; prepares necessary reports or summaries of Team activities.
- Prepares, coordinates and maintains procedural and work flow documentation.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skills to effectively interact with systems utilized by department.
- Communicates regularly with Team members.
- Reviews procedures and recommends changes and improvements; responsible for follow-through and closure.
- Shares with Director responsibility for effective communications of policy and procedural issues to Team members.
- Serves as value-added resource to assigned Team.
- Promotes tidiness and organization of Team’s work area(s); coordinates acquisition and maintenance of necessary supplies and equipment operation.
- Actively participates with system implementation including procedural documentation, process and system enhancement and testing procedures.
- Performs adhoc projects related to unanticipated needs; provides feedback and documents follow-up.
- Shares accountability with Director and responsibility to facilitate meetings with Team.
- Interviews, trains, evaluate staff. Develops, evaluates, and implements staffing resources, supplies needed to maintain cost effectiveness.
- Estimates future needs and makes recommendations concerning supplies, equipment and other capital expenditures.
- Maintains good rapport and cooperative relationships. Approaches conflict in a constructive manner. Helps to identify problems, offer solutions, and participate in their resolution.
- Maintains the confidentiality of information acquired pertaining to patient, physicians, employees, and visitors to St. Joseph Mercy Hospital. Discusses patient and hospital information only among appropriate personnel in appropriately private places.
- Behaves in accordance with the Mission, Vision, and Values of Saint Joseph Mercy Health System.
- Assumes responsibility for performance of job duties in the safest possible manner, to assure personal safety and that of coworkers, and to report all preventable hazards and unsafe practices immediately to management.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND CERTIFICATION/LICENSURE
- Education: Associates degree in Business Administration required
- Three to five progressively more responsible related work experience required.
- Experience with health insurance guidelines, programs and plans; patient and co-pay assistance programs; Medicare and Medicaid health plans: COBRA guidelines, and the ability to find new programs to assist patients preferred.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated ability to acquire and implement new ideas and processes with little difficulty.
- Interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with patients, Team members and other SJMHS department representatives.
- Organizational skills to create work plans and time schedules.
- Demonstrated knowledge of skills and terminology required by work in assigned Team.
- Analytical ability to effectively and efficiently resolve a broad range of Patient Financial Counselor problems.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
Employees of St. Joseph Mercy Health System enjoy…
- Competitive compensation
- Full benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, PTO, Life Insurance and Disability
- Retirement savings plan with employer contribution
- Opportunity for growth and advancement throughout SJMHS and Trinity Health
Visit www.stjoeshealth.org/careers to learn more about the benefits, culture and career development opportunities available to you at Saint Joseph Mercy Health System.
Job Number: 00147080
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Organization Name: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System
Facility: SJSEMI - SJMHS Hospital Ann Arbor
Employment Type: Full time
Shift: Day Shift