Trinity Health Cytotechnologist - Full-Time Days in Ann Arbor, Michigan
*There is an opportunity for a Cytotechnologist to join the Anatomic Pathology Laboratory department. Full-Time benefited position, 40 hours per week on the day shift (7:30 a.m. start time).*
This is a state-of-the-art laboratory, operating twenty-four hours per day, where you will be able to utilize your training, experience and skills to learn and grow. The AP Lab performs over 75,000 cases per year. There are on-site ICH and Molecular labs and a significant opportunity for professional development. The lab is accredited by CAP, JCAHO; certified by CLIA and registered with the FDA.
Analyzes and interprets cellular changes caused by disease processes. Prepares cell samples for microscopic examination by making smears of cell samples and staining the slides. Performs a microscopic examination of the slides to detect cellular change and prepares initial findings. Routes preliminary findings to Pathologist for final diagnosis of disease.
*ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
- Receives and accessions cytologic specimens such as sputum, gastric brushing, scraping, pleural fluid, cervical ""pap"" smears, and the lie.
- Assists physicians with the collection of fine needle aspirate biopsies by preparing microscopic slides for cancer diagnosis screening.
- Examines the accompanying requisition for accuracy and for adequate history.
- Examines the submitted specimen for suitability and prepares appropriate microscopic slides by various methods, including smearing, Ntration, and centrifugation for cell blocks.
- Stains prepared slides in a Papanicolaou staining circuit and coverslips them.
- Screens slides microscopically to determine the presence of cancer cells and also for other abnormalities such as inflammation, infectious organisms, and abnormal hormonal effects.
- Renders final diagnosis on most negative gynecological specimens.
- Prepares preliminary diagnosis on all atypical or abnormal slides and reviews them with a Pathologist for final diagnosis, records Pathologist's diagnosis in log book and releases a computer report.
- Performs Quality Control functions according to established procedures.
- Reports results of tests ordered stat or calls highly abnormal or unexpected results in a timely manner and according to established policies and procedures.
- Records laboratory computer results of tests performed and advises the Manager or Pathologist of spurious, unusual or abnormal results before release of results for reporting.
- Compares test results with previous patient test results when indicated, calling attention of manager and/or Pathologist to unusual findings.
- Maintains a slide and card file of all abnormal cytologic preparations or maintains appropriate computer history file.
- Notifies appropriate personnel of unusual problems such as unacceptable specimens, equipment malfunctions, and quality control aberrations, in accordance with department or section policy or procedure.
- Maintains good rapport and cooperative relationships. Approaches conflict in a constructive manner. Helps to identify problems, offer solutions, and participate in their resolution.
- Maintains the confidentiality of information acquired pertaining to patient, physicians, employees, and visitors to St. Joseph Mercy Hospital. Discusses patient and hospital information only among appropriate personnel in appropriately private places.
- . Assumes responsibility for performance of job duties in the safest possible manner, to assure personal safety and that of coworkers, and to report all preventable hazards and unsafe practices immediately to management.
- Provides quality patient care by considering the age specific, developmental and cultural needs through competent clinical practice. Demonstrates unit/area competencies.
- Behaves in accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values of St. Joseph Mercy Health System.
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Prepares working stains and related reagents.
- Obtains laboratory specimens from patients.
- Contacts nursing unit or client office personnel with regard to results and for clarification of requests and other routine problems arising about specimens and requests.
- Assists in the training and orientation of new staff,
- Takes an active role in departmental and sectional programs or projects to include research procedure development, task force participation, cost savings initiatives, and problem solving.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
*REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND CERTIFICATION/LICENSURE*
- Requires Bachelor's degree and/or successful completion of an accredited school of Cytotechnology program.
- CT (ASCP) certification is highly desirable.
- No previous experience required.
At Saint Joseph Mercy Health System, we believe that taking care of our professionals leverages the quality of service we can provide to our patients. We offer a comprehensive benefits package that is just one aspect of what makes our career opportunities so remarkable.
Visit www.stjoeshealth.org/careers to learn more about the benefits, culture and career development opportunities available to you at Saint Joseph Mercy Health System.
Job Number: 00138162
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Organization Name: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System
Facility: SJSEMI - SJMHS Hospital Ann Arbor
Employment Type: Full time
Shift: Day Shift